Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Kindness goes a long way

Over this past calendar month, there is certain person who is a member of a referral generation group I am leading, who is always absent.

Being absent from a networking group is a big thing. By no means something to be taken lightly.

The other team members keep giving me news about this absent member and I can see their frustration and in some cases, even down right pissed at this person.

And what do you think happens to me as I receive the news from my trusted colleagues in the group. Yes, you are right, equally pissed!

So I had made a decision, that if this person still is not present in the meeting today, then that should be that, and that we should let this person go and move on. Yes you guessed right, this person didn't show. A text message to the group leader indicated that a sore-throat had incapacitated this person.

Luckily on my way out, while waiting for the elevator, another member whom I solicited his opinion suggested that I speak to this person again, out of courtesy, and still give an opportunity to this person, albeit the last time being given the chance to do so.

So I sent her a text message: 'Hi, understand that u haven't been well. Once recovered, do gv me a ring so we can converse about your membership. Let's discuss options moving ahead, as it would be shame to lose a member with a sound business like u. Aim to ring me before Friday? Thanks, Riyaz'

To which I received a reply an hour later that owing to no voice, I will be contacted upon later in the week.

Yes, it was easy to lose it and simply move on. But I think at times, we need to know when to push and when to pull.

Right now, as this group consolidates and regroups, I will pull.

And with a little kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment