Thursday, November 19, 2009

Neither here nor there

Alright, this is a heavy discussion, and you will need to be up for it:

I was having a conversation with some partners about why I ended up being in their circle.

Sometime in 1997, I read a book titled: Boom, Bust, Echo, written by a Canadian researcher on human demographics and that book discussed how generations are formed and explained why the demographics existing today existed.

The book asserts that those born post World-War II are the Boomers, basically from the soldiers who returned from duty who were having a jolly time re-populating the earth. The babies from this party are called the Boom generation. In other words, those born from 1946 to 1962.

If you look at those born in this generation, you will see them as owners of large and successful businesses, CEOs of large corporations, politicians sitting in high offices.

Then, comes the Bust generation, and these are those born from 1963 up to about 1969, though those born up to 1971 can also be pooled up in the same pond.

The Boom generation started re-producing from about 1971 onwards up to mid 90s. The offsprings from them are the Echo generation.

Okay, got the framework of the discussion? Summary as follows:

Born from 1946 to 1962 are known as Boom generation.

Born from 1963 to 1971 are the Bust generation.

Born from 1972 to mid 90s are the Echo generation.

Now comes the analysis:

I am born in 1969, and am in the Bust generation.

The Boom generation sitting in high offices are still there, albeit some now planning their retirement. And when they retire, who will succeed them? Bear in mind that many have been enjoying this position for a good 10 - 15 years now in senior positions, as their careers progressed.

So now, the succession. Who will succeed these generation? Is it my generation? The Bust generation?

According to the book the answer is a sound No!

Because by that time comes to succeed the Boomers who are retiring, our age groups will be circa 41 - 49, which according to norms, are merely 10 years from our own retirement, and therefore, it is better to prepare someone who is currently below 40 years, age wise and work them up.

Therefore, the Bust generation are by-passed. Of course, there will be exceptions, in certain places and situations.

You see, I feel it in my bones that I am a talented, highly skilled individual. And I am among the best in the industry that I am in.

But will a company succession plan have me in their plans?

If your answer to this is 'Yes' then you need to re-think. Because it was a No!

During my years as a Systems Integrator in some IT firms, I was not just a mere sales-executive writing up proposals and entertaining clients in karaoke parlours in cajoling them to confirm their purchases. I was also offering to them expertise in systems, processes, and enhancements of their company operations.

I was also often providing feedback to my own company management on various elements of business such as operations, warehousing, even cash flow and vendor management. And was my input as good as those in management? You bet your bottom dollar it was!

Now, the management consisted of those in the Boom generation, whereas I was a knuckle-scrubber doing the work, and this is where the problem started: they saw me as a threat.

Because I offered input just as good, if not better, and cost the company a third in terms of the pay-package, I quickly was brought into the inner-circle by the boss. But the senior management didn't see it that way, as they saw me as a direct threat to their existence, and lifestyle of business class travels, higher company car allowances, etc etc etc...

So I was put in the chiller and drowned in projects that were doomed for failure. Partly to discredit.

It worked, as the projects I was assigned to were non-starters in the first place.

That's why, I ended up working on my own, and pulled myself up.

Still I feel, I am neither here nor there.

I am in between. And right now, that's not a fun place to be.

But in the meantime, to friends reading this, I am very much part of your lives... for now at least, so let's enjoy it till it lasts!

2 comments:

  1. Liked what you shared.
    Though born in1943 (pre-Boom), I understand the state of being viewed as a threat because of one's giftedness.
    But I am glad that nothing can keep a good person down. Your experience of initiating a shift in your career path is testimony to the creative resources of a gifted person.
    I have a blog. Do visit when you have the time. I share appreciation in http//mikequah-imagineplace.blogspot.com
    We share some similar value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and for posting your comment.

    I visited your blog however, couldn't find a link to your e-mail address. Hopefully this comment will find you and you will write to me at: riyaz@pc.jaring.my so that we can connect.

    ReplyDelete